RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF AGENCIES
Agencies, as well as volunteers, also have rights and responsibilities.
In addition to all of those listed in the Volunteer Responsibilities, volunteer-involving agencies also have the RIGHT to:
• Assess the volunteer’s capacities, place them appropriately and expect assignments to be adequately completed.
• Plan and facilitate training for volunteers.
• Redirect volunteers determined unsuitable for placement or to say NO to volunteers.
Agencies have the RESPONSIBILITY to:
• Empower volunteers to meet their own and agency needs.
• Offer volunteers work opportunities appropriate to their skills, experience and aspirations.
• Provide volunteers with clear duty statements and orientation to their work and the agency.
• Offer training and support for volunteers to achieve goals.
• Implement procedures to ensure volunteer safety and well-being.
• Offer reimbursement or other compensation to cover out-of-pocket expenses.
• Recognise volunteers as valued team members, with opportunities to participate in relevant agency decisions.
• Provide mechanisms to acknowledge the value of contributions made by volunteers.